So it’s been a week since the Bates Motel season finale. I’ve given it time to settle and I’m finally ready to post my thoughts. The episode was a nice mix of resolution and setup, as are all good season finales. Some things didn’t pan out the way I hoped or expected them to turn out. But overall it was a good end to a surprisingly good first season. (SPOILERS AHEAD…) Continue reading
- Cléo from 5 to 7, 1962 - ★★★½ February 23, 2021Beautiful movie. It took a while for me to really get into it but the complete shift in Cleo's day is really well showcased. The ending worked very well for me.
- Ikiru, 1952 - ★★★★★ February 22, 2021Watched on Sunday February 21, 2021.
- Apt Pupil, 1998 - ★★ February 6, 2021Part of my low rating may be due to having just finished re-reading the novella before watching this for the first time. King is very hard to adapt and Apt Pupil makes a solid effort. Some things are streamlined, some dropped entirely. The finished product is just okay, though. I very rarely connected with Brad Renfro's performance. It seems like the ma […]
- The Swerve, 2018 - ★★½ February 4, 2021Watched on Wednesday February 3, 2021.
- Shaun of the Dead, 2004 - ★★★★½ February 1, 2021Recorded another commentary track for our $5 Patreon level. I love this movie so much. It's still the best of the Cornetto trilogy for me.
- Hearts in Atlantis, 2001 - ★★★ January 31, 2021Solid enough. Its based on King's collection of 5 interconnected stories and I think stripping the book of all but 2 of the stories was probably the right thing to do. However, it loses quite a bit of the collection's deeper meaning and themes in the translation. It's still a solid enough coming of age story and Anton Yelchin gave an amazing p […]
- Cléo from 5 to 7, 1962 - ★★★½ February 23, 2021