OBSESSIVE NOTE: Mike is the biggest Horror movie fan I know. His approach to Shocktober this year is more laid back than it has been in years passed. It should be, considering he’s getting married next weekend. Despite his extremely busy schedule, he has agreed to share his Shocktober 2013 experience with all of us. Here is the first installment of Mike’s Shocktober Journal entries. You can find Mike on Twitter @IAmMikeWhite and hear him on The Obsessive Viewer Podcast!
- Good Boys, 2019 - ★★★½ August 17, 2019Started off kind of rocky with some bits that didn't land as hard for me and/or had their punchlines spoiled in the trailer. There was also some distracting editing throughout it that I assume for one reason or another was due to the three leads being so young. But aside from those quibbles, Good Boys is really funny in a way that plays up the innocence […]
- The Martian, 2015 - ★★★★½ August 15, 2019Watched on Wednesday August 14, 2019.
- The Farewell, 2019 - ★★★ August 12, 2019Watched on Monday August 12, 2019.
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, 2019 - ★★★★ August 11, 2019Really enjoyed this movie. There's a surprising amount of unsettling visuals that seem to push the PG-13 envelope without being purely grotesque or solely relying on jump scares. It's a really good balance of tone and scares. Review will be up on The Obsessive Viewer Podcast on Friday.
- 2 Fast 2 Furious, 2003 - ★★ August 10, 2019The street racing sequences and use of cars in general is actually a step up from the (now pretty dated) street racing effects of the first movie. But the plot of this one does nothing for me. I enjoy Walker and Tyrese on screen together, but Cole Hauser is pretty hollow and one note as the villain.
- The Fast and the Furious, 2001 - ★★½ August 10, 2019Point Brake! 33 year old Matt can nit pick this silly ass movie to death. But my inner 15 year old Matt still loves that chase sequence at the end.
- Good Boys, 2019 - ★★★½ August 17, 2019