If you are a fan of Adam Scott you should really see The Vicious Kind. He gives a performance unlike anything he’s done before. Most of you probably think of his hilarious turn in Step Brothers, or as the lovable Ben Wyatt on Parks and Recreation. I love him in those roles as well, but I think his talent had never been put on full display until this film.
- Uncut Gems, 2019 - ★★★★ December 5, 2019Whew, what a tense movie. The Safdie Brothers create in Howard Ratner a hustler who's consumed by his own addiction to the game he plays (and gambling, obviously). Adam Sandler, by far, gives his best performance to date. He's so good in this that I was honestly angry that he keeps making horrible comedies. What impressed me most about Uncut Gems w […]
- Little Women, 2019 - ★★★½ December 3, 2019I was a big fan of Lady Bird, so Greta Gerwig's sophomore effort was definitely on my radar. Though I've not read the novel, Little Women had tons of heart and chemistry. The performances across the board are really phenomenal. The exception being a couple of scenes where Amy is acting bratty or otherwise obnoxious. Maybe it's because Florence […]
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 1937 - ★★½ December 2, 2019Good animation, particularly when it comes to the evil Queen's witch disguise. But I was surprised how much fluff there was in the plotting. The middle section is basically just a string of scenes of the dwarfs and Snow White doing random things. It just didn't hold my attention all that well.
- The Report, 2019 - ★★ December 2, 2019Pretty dry procedure-heavy retelling of an important piece of our recent history. Driver and Bening are solid in a movie that I just didn't find very compelling. The timeline jumping to bring us up to speed on the use of torture felt like the script was just covering its bases in a cliff notes way rather than packaging the story in an interesting way. […]
- Waves, 2019 - ★★★★½ December 2, 2019Incredible in its emotional resonance, Waves blew me away with its superb acting and intoxicating style. The film can be broken into a couple standalone parts, each telling a significant story through the respective section's lead character.Tyler is an 18 year old kid being pushed to achieve greatness by an overbearing father. This relationship bleeds i […]
- Cinderella, 1950 - ★★★½ December 1, 2019I'm surprised how much cat and mouse antics there are in this movie. It's entertaining. Animation looks good. I am very tired but overall, I enjoyed it.
- Uncut Gems, 2019 - ★★★★ December 5, 2019