Apologies, but no results were found for the requested archive. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.
- The Grinch, 2018 - ★★ December 14, 2018The animation was good but other than that, I was bored out of my mind. The Grinch retells Dr. Seuss' stories without much heart or even energy. The movie felt like it was simply going through the paces without taking the proper care to develop the character past a dull exposition dump. The citizens of Whoville are given a couple passing one-note charac […]
- Love, Simon, 2018 - ★★★★ December 13, 2018Love, Simon reminded me a lot of 2010's Easy A. So much so, that by the end of the movie I started affectionately thinking of it as Easy Gay. I mean that as a high compliment because what Easy A got so right about the teen coming of age genre is exactly what Love, Simon excels at. Both movies are very witty, romantic, and treat teenage/high school cultu […]
- Cheap Thrills, 2013 - ★★★½ December 12, 2018I really liked the energy of Cheap Thrills. It's a dark comedy with a pretty sick plot that could have been played up for more drama. But that would have ruined the experience. We get the motivations for the characters to participate in Koechner's character's messed up game and that's really all we need to be strapped into the movie. The […]
- The Tale, 2018 - ★★★★½ December 11, 2018The Tale is one of the year's most powerful movies. Lauren Dern and Isabelle Nélisse give truly gripping performances. Jason Ritter and Elizabeth Debicki are particularly haunting throughout the film. But I want to single out writer/director Jennifer Fox. The Tale is the true story of sexual abuse that Fox went through when she was 13 and how she recove […]
- Scrooged, 1988 - ★★ December 10, 2018I have something of a love-hate relationship with Bill Murray. On a good day, I find his dry wit style funny and charming. On a bad day, I wish he would just try harder or at least be more emotionally present in his roles. Scrooged is a solid enough comedy for that. The standard emotional Christmas moments are performed well by him. But the lead up to those […]
- Always, 1989 - ★★ December 10, 2018Always only hits a couple marks when it comes to what makes Spielberg so great. The first act showing Dreyfuss and Hunter's relationship is classic Spielberg sentiment. Honestly, that worked well for me. I bought into the relationship and thought both actors were very charismatic. But once Always gets into its main storyline (Dreyfuss dies, his ghost co […]
- The Grinch, 2018 - ★★ December 14, 2018