Since 2009’s Trick R Treat, horror audiences have been treated to a resurgence of anthology movies. V/H/S and it’s superior sequel were successful movies, and a breath of fresh air from the Paranormal Activity movies dominating theaters every year. The anthology format serves horror well. Where several horror movies struggle to pack 90 minutes with scares, segments in a horror anthology can back out to the frame story before tension wavers. Even a weak segment reaps the benefits of a mostly successful group of shorts. When the work is cohesive and the scares are quick and fun, anthologies thrive. Continue reading
- It Chapter Two, 2019 - ★★★½ September 23, 2019Watched on Sunday September 22, 2019.
- Between Two Ferns: The Movie, 2019 - ★★★ September 21, 2019I've been looking forward to this. It's a solid comedy that's light hearted and hits more than it misses.
- Ad Astra, 2019 - ★★★★½ September 20, 2019Watched on Thursday September 19, 2019.
- Brittany Runs a Marathon, 2019 - ★★★★ September 19, 2019Really enjoyed this. Jillian Bell is amazing. The movie creates character drama really well.
- It Chapter Two, 2019 - ★★★★ September 15, 2019Had several issues after my first viewing last week. Those issue are mostly still present, but I enjoyed it a bit more the second time. Still not as good as the Chapter One, and obviously not as good as the book. But I'm okay with the finished product.
- Rapid Response, 2019 - ★★★½ September 10, 2019Tons of archival footage and a really interesting look at the evolution of medical services in motorsports. There's a unique resonance for me since I'm from Speedway, where the Indy 500 is ran. Even though I've never been a racing fan, per se, I do admire what goes into the sport. This is an interesting look at an aspect of it that is easily o […]
- It Chapter Two, 2019 - ★★★½ September 23, 2019