Last week I fulfilled a dream I’ve had since I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time on my family’s old 32-inch, component cabled tube TV over a decade ago. I finally saw the most visually breathtaking and hopelessly mind-bending film in a theater. Not only that, I saw it at one of the best theaters in Indianapolis.
- Never Rarely Sometimes Always, 2020 - ★★★★ November 24, 2020Leaves a lot to think about. Very powerful and at times haunting performance from Sidney Flanagan. Talia Ryder and Théodore Pellerin give strong performances too. The scene that gives the movie its title is one of the best scenes I've seen all year.
- Buffaloed, 2019 - ★★★ November 24, 2020It's not a surprise that Zoey Deutch nails this. She's really talented and Buffaloed is another in a growing line of titles she elevates with her charisma and energetic performance. Aside from her performance, the movie is okay. There are some solid supporting characters that keep up with Deutch as best they can. The stakes are high enough. Ultimat […]
- Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution, 2020 - ★★★★ November 23, 2020Really inspiring. I thought it was just going to be about Camp Jened but that's merely a launching point for the revolutionary fight for the Americans with Disabilities Act. The way the documentary frames the camp as a place for the people in the camp to find themselves and grow as individuals leads to a beautifully poignant depiction of the fight for d […]
- Knives Out, 2019 - ★★★★½ November 19, 2020Watched on Wednesday November 18, 2020.
- It Follows, 2014 - ★★★★½ November 15, 2020More like "It Freaking Slaps" because this movie "slaps", as the kids say. There's a good chance I watched this while drunk.In any case, my appreciation for what this movie does grows every time I rewatch it. It takes the reality of teenage sexuality and explores other tangential sexual concepts through a few different angles. Surviv […]
- Love and Monsters, 2020 - ★★★½ November 15, 2020Surprisingly good with a likeable protagonist. The world-building was well thought out and the variety of monsters was rich. Impressive visual and special effects for the monster designs. Third act kind of throws a lot at the wall but isn't too distracting and the movie doesn't love much focus because of it.Liked it.Reviewed in episode 330 of The O […]
- Never Rarely Sometimes Always, 2020 - ★★★★ November 24, 2020