The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had plenty going against it before it opened last Friday, May 2nd. (Early showings started around 8 on Thursday.) Early reviews were lukewarm at best. Rumors of too many villains bogging down the film were strong, and incessant trailers and TV spots seemed to leave very few surprises. More than anything, ASM 2 absolutely needed to improve upon director Marc Webb’s first Spidey outing, 2012’s even-less-than-lukewarm reboot. Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn’t need to be amazing (it’s not,) it simply needed to be better (it is.) Continue reading
- Raya and the Last Dragon, 2021 - ★★½ March 7, 2021Beautiful animation and good voice acting. I just wasn't engaged by the story all that much.
- Captain Marvel, 2019 - ★★★★ March 5, 2021Holds up well. Super fun with some cool action.
- Wet Hot American Summer, 2001 - ★★★★ March 2, 2021Watched on Monday March 1, 2021.
- Cléo from 5 to 7, 1962 - ★★★½ February 23, 2021Beautiful movie. It took a while for me to really get into it but the complete shift in Cleo's day is really well showcased. The ending worked very well for me.
- Ikiru, 1952 - ★★★★★ February 22, 2021Watched on Sunday February 21, 2021.
- Apt Pupil, 1998 - ★★ February 6, 2021Part of my low rating may be due to having just finished re-reading the novella before watching this for the first time. King is very hard to adapt and Apt Pupil makes a solid effort. Some things are streamlined, some dropped entirely. The finished product is just okay, though. I very rarely connected with Brad Renfro's performance. It seems like the ma […]
- Raya and the Last Dragon, 2021 - ★★½ March 7, 2021