Here’s the 3rd and final part of my Kevin Smith Retrospective. I’ll just cut to the chase. Here are links to Part I and Part II in case you missed them. Enjoy and follow the blog on Facebook and Twitter, if you haven’t already.
- Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, 1993 - ★½ October 22, 2020Yikes. So I watched the unrated cut and, to its credit, there is some really good gore and body horror effects work in this movie.But that's about all this movie has going for it. It's a Friday the 13th movie in name only, which isn't even the case since New Line didn't have the rights to the name, apparently. So I've commended Frida […]
- Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, 1989 - ★★½ October 21, 2020Not nearly the dumpster fire I was expecting it to be. Jason looks cool and the ship setting followed by Manhattan setting are surprisingly nice changes of pace for the series. Decent enough characters with none that are overtly terrible as in previous installments.
- Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood, 1988 - ★★★ October 21, 2020Now it's time for Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood. In other words, I thought the franchise was heating up before but now it's about to get.........Hodder. Kane Hodder is a much more imposing and threatening Jason.The New Blood isn't as good as Jason Lives. But it's an interesting expansion of the supernatural stuff in the previous […]
- Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, 1986 - ★★★½ October 21, 2020I had so much fun with this. So far it's my favorite of the series. The most enjoyable and fun cast of characters in the series yet. Tommy's arc over 3 movies is fulfilling here (even if it completely ignores the closing seconds of Part V). The kills are fun and the focus on more suspense was good. This is a hell of a bounce back after A New Beginn […]
- Friday the 13th: A New Beginning, 1985 - ★★ October 21, 2020Oh boy. After the 4th movie finally delivered characters I cared about, A New Beginning goes back to bland and unlikable characters that border on annoying. The kills are okay for the most part, but there was way too much sloppy cutting away from gore that hindered otherwise interesting and intricate kills.Was not expecting the ending to go the way it did. I […]
- Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 1984 - ★★★ October 20, 2020Had on in the background while working. So I didn't pay 100% attention to it. But it was good. Much less goofy than Part 3. A bit more serious with a healthy amount of cheese to it. Cool kills.
- Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, 1993 - ★½ October 22, 2020