May was a disappointment for me in terms of the amount of movies I watched. It was the first month of 2013 that wasn’t a “record breaker.” My 20 viewings last month barely beat my 19 viewings in May 2012. But the month fell short of 2011’s 22 viewings. I didn’t even get a chance to watch a director’s work this month. In my defense, however, my month was dominated by television thanks to Netflix and the various season (and some series) finales that aired. I anticipate a better month in June. Hopefully. Anyway, let’s get to it, shall we? Continue reading
- The Heat, 2013 - ★★★ January 19, 2020Watched on Saturday January 18, 2020.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011 - ★★★½ January 16, 2020Hadn't seen Rise since 2014. Dawn is still easily the best of the three. The actions of the humans are questionable but the mo-cap work is still impressive.
- Knives Out, 2019 - ★★★★½ January 13, 2020Watched on Monday January 13, 2020.
- The Son of Kong, 1933 - ★½ January 13, 2020I appreciate the lighter tone compared to the original film. But there's really nothing holding this together as it feels like a hastily made cash-in of a sequel.
- King Kong, 1933 - ★★★½ January 11, 2020For a movie that's almost 90 years old, the effects in King Kong are still impressive. Sure, they look dated and the stop motion work is awkward, but the scope of the movie is still impressive. The wide shots that use perspective to show the scale of Kong and the dinosaurs in relation to the humans still look pretty good and make the set pieces gripping […]
- Marriage Story, 2019 - ★★★★★ January 6, 2020Watched on Monday January 6, 2020.
- The Heat, 2013 - ★★★ January 19, 2020