In The Good Dinosaur, Pixar imagines a world where dinosaurs never went extinct and now live alongside humans. The movie follows Arlo, a young cowardly dinosaur who finds himself lost from his family farm and forced to confront his fears to return home. Arlo finds an unlikely companion in a human “creature” named Spot, who acts as Arlo’s guard dog. Continue reading
- Minari, 2020 - ★★★★ November 30, 2020Beautiful family drama. I loved spending time with these characters. The contrast in tone between Jacob and Monica's argument at the beginning of the movie and the one at the end underscores the strong writing. Loved it.
- Ran, 1985 - ★★★★ November 29, 2020Kurosawa considered Kagemusha to be the "dress rehearsal" for Ran. After this first viewing, I was more engaged with Kagemusha, and didn't end up liking Ran as much. That could change with subsequent viewings.The scope and beauty of Ran is crazy, though. It's so vibrant and beautiful while also being violent and heavy when it needs to be. […]
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, 2020 - ★★★★ November 27, 2020Chadwick Boseman's final performance underscores just how tremendous a loss his passing is. He and Viola Davis are both incredible and the dialogue and set design are of extraordinarily high quality as well. Incredible movie.
- Soul, 2020 - ★★★★★ November 27, 2020Jesus, what a beautiful and brilliant movie. Similar in spirit to Inside Out (also directed by Pete Docter) and Coco, Soul is a stunning rumination on humanity itself. Expertly studying and demystifying complex existential ideas and concepts, Soul arrives at heartfelt and uplifting conclusions about what makes life worth living and what it means to reconnect […]
- Nomadland, 2020 - ★★★★½ November 27, 2020Frances McDormand gives one of the best performances I've seen all year in this movie. The entire film is complex feelings laid out in a realistic, lived in world. Fern is an extremely captivating character. She's silently dealing with the loss of not only her husband, but her community as well. She seems to adopt the nomad lifestyle out of necessi […]
- MLK/FBI, 2020 - ★★★½ November 27, 2020This doc is really well constructed through archival footage, recordings, newspapers, photographs, and displays of documents. The story it tells of Hoover and the FBI's efforts to discredit and undermine MLK and the civil rights movement is well-realized. Very solid documentary.
- Minari, 2020 - ★★★★ November 30, 2020