I had a pretty good June as far as movie-watching is concerned. I didn’t break any records (2008 – 25 viewings) but I did triple my numbers from last year’s paltry 6 viewings. I made good progress in my Bond set and managed some memorable theater viewings. All in all not a bad month. You can see the full chronological list of my June viewings here. Continue reading
- FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened, 2019 - ★★★½ January 20, 2019I remember feeling a fascinating sense of schadenfreude when the controversy over Fyre Festival happened. I was browsing social media and Reddit reading about what a bunch of rich people were going through in the Bahamas. So when Netflix released their documentary (and Hulu as well, but I'll watch that next), I was looking forward to a potential skeweri […]
- Tillie's Punctured Romance, 1914 - ★★ January 20, 20192019 Weekly Comedy Challenge: 2/52 - (Week 2: A comedy starring Mabel Normand.) Over 100 years old, Tillie's Punctured Romance was the first feature length comedy ever made. It was also Charlie Chaplin's first feature length film and it was the last time he would be directed by someone other than himself. For its milestones, Tillie's Punctured […]
- The Truman Show, 1998 - ★★★★ January 20, 2019r/LetterboxdOfficial Film Club - 005 - New Year, Fresh Start Every time I watch The Truman Show, I'm fascinated by the concept of the movie, impressed by the comedy, and awestruck at how ahead of its time it was. The concept of The Truman Show, where a man's entire life is a reality TV show unbeknownst to him, is such a meaty premise for the movie. […]
- The House of the Devil, 2009 - ★★★★ January 20, 2019Watched for my Horror Movie Homework Assigned by @IAmMikeWhite list. The first thing that struck me about The House of the Devil was how much it felt like an 80s horror movie. I was aware that it was set in the 80s and assumed it would have some throwback nostalgia in it. However, I wasn't prepared for just how steeped in the 80s aesthetic the movie was […]
- Glass, 2019 - ★★★ January 18, 2019I can't remember the last time I was so invested in 2/3s of a movie only to find myself struggling so hard to hold my interest in its final act. But such is the life of the audience member of an M. Night Shyamalan movie. As harsh as it may sound, there's no denying that Shyamalan is one divisive and mercurial filmmaker. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable […]
- Split, 2016 - ★★★★ January 18, 2019Split holds up very well. I was concerned that my fondness for it was based solely on the ending. Fortunately, I was invested in the story and really stunned by McAvoy's performance. He was incredible. My full review can be found on ObsessiveViewer.com.
- FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened, 2019 - ★★★½ January 20, 2019