The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had plenty going against it before it opened last Friday, May 2nd. (Early showings started around 8 on Thursday.) Early reviews were lukewarm at best. Rumors of too many villains bogging down the film were strong, and incessant trailers and TV spots seemed to leave very few surprises. More than anything, ASM 2 absolutely needed to improve upon director Marc Webb’s first Spidey outing, 2012’s even-less-than-lukewarm reboot. Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn’t need to be amazing (it’s not,) it simply needed to be better (it is.) Continue reading
- Cléo from 5 to 7, 1962 - ★★★½ February 23, 2021Beautiful movie. It took a while for me to really get into it but the complete shift in Cleo's day is really well showcased. The ending worked very well for me.
- Ikiru, 1952 - ★★★★★ February 22, 2021Watched on Sunday February 21, 2021.
- Apt Pupil, 1998 - ★★ February 6, 2021Part of my low rating may be due to having just finished re-reading the novella before watching this for the first time. King is very hard to adapt and Apt Pupil makes a solid effort. Some things are streamlined, some dropped entirely. The finished product is just okay, though. I very rarely connected with Brad Renfro's performance. It seems like the ma […]
- The Swerve, 2018 - ★★½ February 4, 2021Watched on Wednesday February 3, 2021.
- Shaun of the Dead, 2004 - ★★★★½ February 1, 2021Recorded another commentary track for our $5 Patreon level. I love this movie so much. It's still the best of the Cornetto trilogy for me.
- Hearts in Atlantis, 2001 - ★★★ January 31, 2021Solid enough. Its based on King's collection of 5 interconnected stories and I think stripping the book of all but 2 of the stories was probably the right thing to do. However, it loses quite a bit of the collection's deeper meaning and themes in the translation. It's still a solid enough coming of age story and Anton Yelchin gave an amazing p […]
- Cléo from 5 to 7, 1962 - ★★★½ February 23, 2021