The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had plenty going against it before it opened last Friday, May 2nd. (Early showings started around 8 on Thursday.) Early reviews were lukewarm at best. Rumors of too many villains bogging down the film were strong, and incessant trailers and TV spots seemed to leave very few surprises. More than anything, ASM 2 absolutely needed to improve upon director Marc Webb’s first Spidey outing, 2012’s even-less-than-lukewarm reboot. Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn’t need to be amazing (it’s not,) it simply needed to be better (it is.) Continue reading
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011 - ★★★½ January 16, 2020Hadn't seen Rise since 2014. Dawn is still easily the best of the three. The actions of the humans are questionable but the mo-cap work is still impressive.
- Knives Out, 2019 - ★★★★½ January 13, 2020Watched on Monday January 13, 2020.
- The Son of Kong, 1933 - ★½ January 13, 2020I appreciate the lighter tone compared to the original film. But there's really nothing holding this together as it feels like a hastily made cash-in of a sequel.
- King Kong, 1933 - ★★★½ January 11, 2020For a movie that's almost 90 years old, the effects in King Kong are still impressive. Sure, they look dated and the stop motion work is awkward, but the scope of the movie is still impressive. The wide shots that use perspective to show the scale of Kong and the dinosaurs in relation to the humans still look pretty good and make the set pieces gripping […]
- Marriage Story, 2019 - ★★★★★ January 6, 2020Watched on Monday January 6, 2020.
- Avengers: Endgame, 2019 - ★★★★★ January 6, 2020Watched on Sunday January 5, 2020.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011 - ★★★½ January 16, 2020