The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had plenty going against it before it opened last Friday, May 2nd. (Early showings started around 8 on Thursday.) Early reviews were lukewarm at best. Rumors of too many villains bogging down the film were strong, and incessant trailers and TV spots seemed to leave very few surprises. More than anything, ASM 2 absolutely needed to improve upon director Marc Webb’s first Spidey outing, 2012’s even-less-than-lukewarm reboot. Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn’t need to be amazing (it’s not,) it simply needed to be better (it is.) Continue reading
- My Dinner with Andre, 1981 - ★★ May 27, 2020I feel like I missed something here. I appreciate the acting and the very fluid and natural dialogue. But ultimately I felt like it was a bit of a blowhard of a movie. Andre and Wally talk for two hours and it's reasonably engaging. But it feels like it circles profound topics without really diving into them.
- Gremlins, 1984 - ★★★½ May 27, 2020Super charming and fun. Gizmo is adorable and the escalation toward total chaos is really solid.
- It, 2017 - ★★★★½ May 26, 2020Watched on Monday May 25, 2020.
- Misery, 1990 - ★★★★ May 17, 2020Watched on Saturday May 16, 2020.
- Sometimes They Come Back, 1991 - ★★★ May 2, 2020Not as bad as I expected. The short story is one of my favorites from Night Shift and I think it translates well into a 90 minute movie. This is very much a product of its era but pretty solid.
- Spaceship Earth, 2020 - ★★★ May 2, 2020Watched on Friday May 1, 2020.
- My Dinner with Andre, 1981 - ★★ May 27, 2020