The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had plenty going against it before it opened last Friday, May 2nd. (Early showings started around 8 on Thursday.) Early reviews were lukewarm at best. Rumors of too many villains bogging down the film were strong, and incessant trailers and TV spots seemed to leave very few surprises. More than anything, ASM 2 absolutely needed to improve upon director Marc Webb’s first Spidey outing, 2012’s even-less-than-lukewarm reboot. Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn’t need to be amazing (it’s not,) it simply needed to be better (it is.) Continue reading
- Blast from the Past, 1999 - ★★★ August 7, 2020Loved this movie while I was growing up. It still has its charms, but the pacing is pretty off and the ending doesn't really land in any memorable way. But the comedy with Brendan Fraser's naivete is pretty fun.
- Dave, 1993 - ★★★ August 7, 2020Watched on Friday August 7, 2020.
- 12 Angry Men, 1957 - ★★★★★ August 6, 202012 Angry Men's depiction of the arrogance of some of the "guilty" voters and the stubborn refusal to change their opinion as more and more information comes to light resonates in 2020 in a big way.
- The 47 Ronin, 1941 - ★★★ August 6, 2020This is a really interesting samurai film in that it's based on a play that adapted a real event and that it was commissioned as a wartime propaganda film. Mizoguchi made a more humanistic story, though. The 47 Ronin is mostly characters discussing what is happening and what they plan to do next. There's a lot of talk about the samurai code and wha […]
- The Old Guard, 2020 - ★★ August 5, 2020The concept of immortal mercenaries is kind of interesting. Everything else about the plot feels clichéd and dull, though. Solid action with some pretty intense violence, though.
- Kagemusha, 1980 - ★★★★½ August 4, 2020Watched on Tuesday August 4, 2020.
- Blast from the Past, 1999 - ★★★ August 7, 2020