I waited for Man of Steel to come to my local IMAX theater because I wanted to see it properly. After almost 2 months it was finally showing at the only 70mm IMAX theater in my state and I jumped at the chance to see it. I saw it in 3D solely because I had no other choice. I won’t comment further on the 3D since I’ve already said my peace on the matter elsewhere. But, needless to say, 3D added absolutely nothing to this theater experience. Continue reading
- Downhill, 2020 - ★★ February 18, 2020I watched Force Majeure back in 2018 and didn't care for it all that much. Downhill makes me want to revisit and re-evaluate Force Majeure.Downhill really isn't terrible. It just feels hollow. It only touches on the theme of fragile masculinity without making it a focal point of the movie, which is a big misstep. The relationship between Will Ferre […]
- Avengers: Age of Ultron, 2015 - ★★★½ February 16, 2020Watched on Sunday February 16, 2020.
- Fantasy Island, 2020 - ★½ February 16, 2020It's the kind of movie that thinks it's being clever despite not trying hard at all to do it. I appreciate the variety, I guess, but the tonal shifts among the different fantasies just made the whole movie feel like it was working through a genre identity crisis. The way the story tries to tie things together was a bit haphazard but better than not […]
- Troop Zero, 2019 - ★★ February 16, 2020Well-meaning and sugary sweet, but doesn't really have much of anything really profound or interesting to say. Allison Janney and the mean troop just go through the motions of being antagonists for the misfit characters. It's also got one of the strangest "group unites in an act of solidarity" scenes I've seen.Full review: https://ob […]
- Snowpiercer, 2013 - ★★★★ February 15, 2020Weird Valentine's Day viewing. Sure. But man, talk about a 180. I saw Snowpiercer 5.5 years ago in suboptimal conditions on zero sleep.Revisiting it now, in a better frame of mind and in the as aftermath of Parasite, I can see the things that should have worked for me when I saw it in 2014. The world building and class system social commentary is a work […]
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before, 2018 - ★★★½ February 19, 2020To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is Netflix’s charming teen romance film based on the first of Jenny Han’s trilogy of novels. In adapting the story to film, screenwriter Sofia Alvarez and director Susan Johnson pack the ethos of classic John Hughes films into a modern teen world. They do so in an earnest and unironic way that feels refreshing in an age of c […]
- Downhill, 2020 - ★★ February 18, 2020