I really dropped the ball this weekend. I intended to write and post this as a Streaming Saturday but I ran out of time. Then on Sunday I wanted to write it but only after I posted my review of its predecessor, The Collector. I thought I could squeeze in my weekly TV write up first, but that ended up taking a lot of time so alas, it is Monday and here is my review/Streaming recommendation for 2012’s The Collection. Enjoy. Continue reading
- The Circus, 1928 - ★★★★ May 5, 2021Watched on Tuesday May 4, 2021.
- Welcome to Monterey - ★★★½ May 4, 2021Very charming and sweet look at a very small, tight knit community. The documentary shows the daily lives of a small town with a population of 218 people, explores pivotal moments in the town's history, and ruminates on its future and (by extension) the future of all small town American life.Digital screening as part of Indy Film Fest 2021Welcome to Mon […]
- Paths of Glory, 1957 - ★★★★½ May 3, 2021Stunning
- The Searchers, 1956 - ★★½ May 3, 2021As a piece of film history and a look at some epic John Ford filmmaking, The Searchers works well enough. There are some absolutely breathtaking shots of open landscape and horse riding. But the story is a drag for me and & although this is regarded as one of (if not the) best John Wayne performance, he and the character don't really do much. In par […]
- Sunshine, 2007 - ★★★★★ April 25, 2021Still adore this movie. Watched for my 12th(!!) movie commentary recording this year for The Obsessive Viewer's Patreon.
- Mortal Kombat, 2021 - ★★★ April 24, 2021Enjoyed the violence. The editing of the fight sequences was a bit too erratic and cross cutting among 3 or 4 different match ups felt a bit too chaotic. But there's some cool violence and action.
- The Circus, 1928 - ★★★★ May 5, 2021