If you are a fan of Adam Scott you should really see The Vicious Kind. He gives a performance unlike anything he’s done before. Most of you probably think of his hilarious turn in Step Brothers, or as the lovable Ben Wyatt on Parks and Recreation. I love him in those roles as well, but I think his talent had never been put on full display until this film.
- Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, 2016 - ★★★½ August 25, 2019Watched on Sunday August 25, 2019.
- Seven Samurai, 1954 - ★★★★★ August 24, 2019When I was around 15 or 16 years old and Netflix just had their "DVD by mail" service, I "discovered" Seven Samurai and was really awestruck by it. Even though I probably was too young and inexperienced to really appreciate the nuances and influence it had on film, I was still enamored with the characterization, the drama, the action, the […]
- Mifune: The Last Samurai, 2016 - ★★★ August 23, 2019A pretty dry look at Mifune's career and his relationship with Kurosawa, in particular. I really wish it had dived deeper into Mifune's life and personality. Unfortunately it doesn't spend much time on the topics it covers. Instead, it's pretty much an overview of the subject of Mifune, with bits of Japanese history and Japanese cinema th […]
- Good Boys, 2019 - ★★★½ August 17, 2019Started off kind of rocky with some bits that didn't land as hard for me and/or had their punchlines spoiled in the trailer. There was also some distracting editing throughout it that I assume for one reason or another was due to the three leads being so young. But aside from those quibbles, Good Boys is really funny in a way that plays up the innocence […]
- The Martian, 2015 - ★★★★½ August 15, 2019Watched on Wednesday August 14, 2019.
- The Farewell, 2019 - ★★★ August 12, 2019Watched on Monday August 12, 2019.
- Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, 2016 - ★★★½ August 25, 2019