I had a pretty good June as far as movie-watching is concerned. I didn’t break any records (2008 – 25 viewings) but I did triple my numbers from last year’s paltry 6 viewings. I made good progress in my Bond set and managed some memorable theater viewings. All in all not a bad month. You can see the full chronological list of my June viewings here. Continue reading
- Mulholland Drive, 2001 - ★★★ December 3, 2020I'm really not too keen on David Lynch's overall style. But I'm genuinely impressed how he managed to piece everything together in the end of Mulholland Drive. He took us on a cold and surreal journey that demands our attention despite a lack of coherent storytelling and the most bare elements of compelling story. Then, with 20-30 minutes to g […]
- Trolls World Tour, 2020 - ★★ December 2, 2020Cuter than I expected it to be and it has a good message behind it. Aside from that, it's a fairly mediocre and forgettable animated movie.
- JFK, 1991 - ★★★ December 1, 2020Makes a compelling case for the conspiracy to assassinate JFK. But falters at the human level. Jim Garrison's obsession is captivating but when the movie tries to show how it's wrecking his home life, the drama feels like an afterthought and ultimately hollow.Costner's performance is really wooden and hit or miss throughout it. Until the court […]
- Over the Moon, 2020 - ★★½ November 30, 2020A little dry and, despite its efforts, slightly unimaginative animated movie. The characters' journey is enjoyable with some poignant moments. But the macguffin chase and sidekick character just feel uninspired. Good songs, though.
- The Nest, 2020 - ★★★ November 30, 2020Purely by coincidence today turned out to be a "family in the 80s moves somewhere remote where the father hopes to make a name for himself at the expense of his family's happiness" double feature between this and Minari.The Nest was overall pretty okay. There is some particularly strong acting by Carrie Coon and Jude Law. The scenes where they […]
- Minari, 2020 - ★★★★ November 30, 2020Beautiful family drama. I loved spending time with these characters. The contrast in tone between Jacob and Monica's argument at the beginning of the movie and the one at the end underscores the strong writing. Loved it.
- Mulholland Drive, 2001 - ★★★ December 3, 2020