I’m a huge Danny Boyle fan. I saw 28 Days Later… multiple times in the theater. I watched 127 Hours five times in 2011 alone. Between buying gifts for friends and an upgrade to blu-ray, I’ve bought more copies of Sunshine than probably anybody. And I cheered in glee like a maniac when he hopped like Tigger accepting the Best Directing Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire.
- Harriet, 2019 - ★★½ December 10, 2019The story of Harriet Tubman really deserves a lot more than a bland Oscar bait biopic.Cynthia Erivo is the stand out of the movie, of course. She does a fine job amidst a really generic effort. Her spirituality and connection with God is a big focal point of the story here. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but depicting her faith with such lit […]
- Queen & Slim, 2019 - ★★★ December 9, 2019There's quite a bit to like about Queen & Slim, particularly as it pertains to the relationship between the two. Daniel Kaluuya & Jodie Turner-Smith have strong chemistry. Kaluuya really shines in moments where Slim is racked with guilt. There's an exchange between them late in the film that destroyed me a bit. The script leaves a bit to be […]
- Rocketman, 2019 - ★★½ December 9, 2019Is there a more dull and trope filled genre than the music biopic? I don't know. But about 30 minutes into Rocketman, I came to the realization that no matter how you dress it up, no matter how uniquely you incorporate the music and artist hardships, I simply don't think there is a way to hook me into a music biopic.Rocketman's whimsical fanta […]
- The Garden Left Behind, 2019 - ★★★ December 8, 2019The Garden Left Behind is important for its representation and unapologetically telling its story on behalf of those whose stories don't get told. I commend the movie for that. However, the movie didn't work quite as well for me specifically because it was so message focused. It quickly becomes more of a vehicle for delivering its messages (all of […]
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire, 2019 - ★★★★½ December 8, 2019There's a moment late in Portrait of a Lady on Fire where one character wakes up in bed before the other and stares at her lover still sleeping. It's a look that brings out that feeling of waking next to someone you love and having that yearning and security in knowing that it is one of countless times you will wake up next to them. It's a loo […]
- A Hidden Life, 2019 - ★★★ December 8, 2019Pretty slow, which isn't a surprise as the story kind of demands a slow burn to show us the inner pain and turmoil of the characters. It's gorgeously shot and haunting, at times, in its slow tension building. But there wasn't enough there to justify all the long stretches of rehashing ideas and sentiments through voice over. It makes for a rea […]
- Harriet, 2019 - ★★½ December 10, 2019