Yikes. I did not watch hardly any TV this week. This is highly unusual for me. I should explain that I had a very busy week and Shocktober viewings took precedence over television. As a result, I watched three things. Read my thoughts below and prepare yourselves for a much longer entry next weekend seeing as I will have plenty of catching up to do this week. Continue reading
- The Circus, 1928 - ★★★★ May 5, 2021Watched on Tuesday May 4, 2021.
- Welcome to Monterey - ★★★½ May 4, 2021Very charming and sweet look at a very small, tight knit community. The documentary shows the daily lives of a small town with a population of 218 people, explores pivotal moments in the town's history, and ruminates on its future and (by extension) the future of all small town American life.Digital screening as part of Indy Film Fest 2021Welcome to Mon […]
- Paths of Glory, 1957 - ★★★★½ May 3, 2021Stunning
- The Searchers, 1956 - ★★½ May 3, 2021As a piece of film history and a look at some epic John Ford filmmaking, The Searchers works well enough. There are some absolutely breathtaking shots of open landscape and horse riding. But the story is a drag for me and & although this is regarded as one of (if not the) best John Wayne performance, he and the character don't really do much. In par […]
- Sunshine, 2007 - ★★★★★ April 25, 2021Still adore this movie. Watched for my 12th(!!) movie commentary recording this year for The Obsessive Viewer's Patreon.
- Mortal Kombat, 2021 - ★★★ April 24, 2021Enjoyed the violence. The editing of the fight sequences was a bit too erratic and cross cutting among 3 or 4 different match ups felt a bit too chaotic. But there's some cool violence and action.
- The Circus, 1928 - ★★★★ May 5, 2021